Faculty History


          The Faculty of Nursing was established over 50 years ago. Following World War II, only two medical schools existed in Thailand at the Bangkok-based University of Medical Science (now Mahidol University).   In 1956, the Thai cabinet approved the establishment of a new medical school, to include a nursing division, in Chiang Mai Province to improve health care and medical services in rural Thailand. In 1959, a nursing division within the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital was first established in Bangkok. In 1960 the Faculty of Medicine, including the Nursing Division, moved to Chiang Mai and became the first medical school established outside the capital. The first practical nurse program began in 1960, followed with a diploma program in 1961. A bachelor of nursing science program was established in 1966, a master of nursing science program in 1986, and a doctor of philosophy program in 1997.

          In 1965 the Faculty of Medicine was incorporated into Chiang Mai University. On August 15, 1972, the Faculty of Nursing at Chiang Mai University was formally established as Thailand’s third Faculty of Nursing. FON has grown from a small Division within a medical school in Bangkok to a full-scale Faculty of Nursing occupying a total of 9.5 acres (3.84 hectares) located at CMU Health Sciences Campus.  FON has a total of 10 buildings on the health science campus for administration and teaching as well as faculty and student housing. The state of the art Center for the Efficient Development of Health Spa Services in Mae Rim is a training facility for alternative and Thai traditional therapies. Today FON is an internationally recognized and respected institute of higher education and research.

Location


         The Faculty of Nursing is located at the Health Sciences or Suan Dok campus, (which translates as flower garden), about 1.5 km from the main campus. The Health Sciences campus occupies a 110-acre (45 hectares) site that includes the Faculties of Medicine, Associated Medical Sciences, Nursing, Dentistry, and Pharmacy, as well as the Research Institute for Health Sciences. The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine is located on the Mae Hia campus. Suan Dok campus is also home to Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital, known locally as Suan Dok. Built in 1940, the hospital is affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine and is the largest teaching hospital in Northern Thailand. The 1,300-bed hospital encompasses three buildings and can accommodate 400 auxiliary beds, if needed.

 

Mission


        As part of our commitment to Chiang Mai University and its mission, the Faculty of Nursing strives to fulfill five principle functions in the fields of: education, research, community service, and cultural conservation.

 

Vision


        The Chiang Mai University Faculty of Nursing is a leading international nursing academic and research institution.

 

Core Values


-          Sound Knowledge

-          Best Practices

-          Inquiry-Based Research

-          Moral Mindfulness

-          Pursuing World-Class Standards

 

 
Last update 9/5/2560 16:21:19

FON CMU

Faculty of Nursing, Chiang Mai University

Faculty of Nursing, CMU.
110/406 Inthawaroros road, SriPhum District, Chiang Mai
Thailand, 50200

Tel. 053-935024 Fax. 053-217145